Utah Marriage License Requirements

Find out how to get married in UT

If you're getting married in the state of Utah you must first apply for a wedding license at any in-state county clerk office. These offices, some of which are referred to as the "marriage license bureau," are usually located in the county probate court or circuit court. This document outlines the requirements you must adhere to in order to get a valid marriage license that can be used statewide. Let's begin…

Cost of Your License

How much does a marriage license cost?

The marriage license fee is roughly $45.00 dollars. Please Note: In some counties, there is no fee, but an additional charge for the certified copies may be applied., although fees may vary from county to county.

Residency Requirement

Are there any special residency conditions for in-state or out-of-state residents?

There are none. You do not have to be a previous or current resident of Utah to obtain a marriage license that will be valid statewide.

Waiting Period

After I submit my application how long do I have to wait before I receive my marriage license?

There is no waiting period. You will receive your marriage license immediately after you submit your application.

Is there a waiting period from the moment the license is given to me to the date I'm allowed to actually marry?

No, you can get married immediately after your marriage license is issued.

License Expiration

How long will my marriage license remain valid once it's been issued?

Your license will expire 30 days from the date it is issued. Once it expires, it can no longer be used to get married.

What happens if my marriage license expires before I get a chance to use it?

Unfortunately, you'll just have to get a brand new one as your expired one will no longer be recognized as valid by the state nor by the person who will be responsible for officiating your marriage.

Age Requirement

How old must I be to get married?

You must be at least 18 years of age or older to marry without parental consent. A birth certificate may be necessary to show proof of age.

What if one or both of us is younger than 18?

If either partner is under 18, parents or legal guardians must be present. If a parent can not be present, due to death, separation, divorce or other circumstances, proper evidence must be presented for verification. You will need a certified copy of your birth certificate. If you are under 16 you can not marry without a court order.

Blood Test

Are blood tests and physical exams required?

No blood test or physical exam is required.

Divorced or Widowed Applicants

What if one or both partners have been divorced or have had a spouse die?

If previously married, the date of divorce or date of spouse's death must be provided.

Marriage Name Change

How do I legally change my name before or after I get married?

When you are married, you will receive a marriage certificate, which is a piece of paper proving that you are legally married. This document will serve as evidence of your marriage, which you'll need to complete the process of notifying several government agencies about your name change, as well as any non-government institutions that you do business with (ie, banks, employers, credit cards, memberships, etc).

There is an online marriage name change kit that you can use and complete before or after your marriage takes place. It's applicable for Utah or any other state in the union. Completing all the necessary name change documentation prior to your wedding is recommended in order to expedite the name change process.

Proxy Marriage

What is a proxy marriage?

A proxy marriage, also known as a "proxy wedding," is when one or both partners to be married are unable to physically attend the ceremony. The missing person, or persons, will have someone "stand in" for them and serve as their "proxy."

Can I get married by proxy if I'm unable to to be present for the ceremony?

No, getting married by proxy is not allowed in Utah. There are actually only five states left that do allow marriage by proxy.

Common Law Marriage

What is a common law marriage?

The term "common law marriage" refers to an informal marriage, based upon cohabitation and a mutual understanding by both partners, rather than getting married through a civil or religious ceremony. The latter, more common approach, would require an actual Utah marriage license.

Is a common law marriage a legal option for me instead of undergoing a conventional marriage?

Yes, common-law marriages are allowed in Utah. The fact that it is a viable option in this state is notable considering common law marriage is not available in four-fifths of the country.

Cousin Marriage

Can I get married to my cousin?

Yes, cousin marriages (first, second, etc) are allowed to take place. First cousins may marry if both are 65 or older. If one is over the age of 55 they can marry if they show proof to a superior court judge that one of them is unable to have children.

Same Sex Marriage

Are same sex marriages legal?

Yes, same-sex marriages are allowed and legally recognized in Utah.

Where to Go

Where do I physically need to go to get my marriage license?

Utah has 29 offices where a marriage license can be acquired. Simply choose a location below to visit. Phone numbers as well as map and accompanying driving direction links are provided for every address.

Beaver County Recorder

105 E Center
Beaver, UT 84713


Box Elder County Recorder

1 South Main St
Brigham City, UT 84302


Cache County Recorder

179 North Main
Logan, UT 84321


Carbon County Recorder

120 E Main St
Price, UT 84501


Daggett County Recorder

P.O. Box 218
Manila, UT 84046


Davis County Recorder

P.O. Box 618
Farmington, UT 84025


Duchesne County Recorder

734 N Center St
Duchesne, UT 84021


Emery County Recorder

P.O. Box 698
Castle Dale, UT 84513


Garfield County Recorder

P.O. Box 77
Panguitch, UT 84759


Grand County

125 E Center St
Moab, UT 84532


Iron County , County Recorders

P.O. Box 506
Parowan, UT 84761


Juab County Recorder

160 N Main St
Nephi, UT 84648


Kane County Recorder

76 N Main #14
Kanab, UT 84741


Millard County Recorder

50 S Main St
Filmore, UT 84631


Morgan County Recorder

P.O. Box 886
Morgan, UT 84050


Piute County Recorder

P.O. Box 116
Junction, UT 54740


Rich County Recorder

P.O. Box 322
Randolph, UT 84064


Salt Lake County Recorder , Government Center

2001 South State St, # N 1600
Salt Lake City, UT 84190


San Juan County Recorder

P.O. Box 789
Monticello, UT 84535


Sanpete County Recorder

160 North Main St
Manti, UT 84642


Sevier County Recorder

250 N Main St
Richfield, UT 84701


Summit County Recorder

P.O. Box 128
Coalville, UT 84017


Tooele County Recorder

47 South Main
Tooele, UT 84074


Uintah County Recorder

147 E Main St
Vernal, UT 84078


Utah County Recorder , 100 East Center, Room 1300

County Building
Provo, UT 84606


Wasatch County Recorder

25 North Main
Heber City, UT 84032


Washington County Recorder

197 East Tabernacle
St George, UT 84770


Wayne County Recorder

18 S. Main St
Loa, UT 84747


Weber County Recorder

2380 Washington Blvd Fl 3
Ogden, UT 84401